Thursday, March 31, 2016

Injury report + an awesome tutorial!

So I ended the Easter holidays with a nasty accident. We had been out shopping and I was in the process of putting the purchases away when I tripped, on what I cannot really tell, perhaps a shoe or my own feet - and crashed down two steps in the hallway. Somehow my foot got caught under me in a weird angle and I crash landed on top of it with my full weight and all the speed of the tumble. It was rather terrifying to lose control like that and fly through the air not knowing what the landing would be like, knowing only that this was bad. It felt like a rather long moment. 
When I landed I let out a primal scream that still today leaves my throat sore. My poor fiancé came running to see what happened and found me on the floor, shrieking. At first he thought I had injured my head as I was laying with my head directly next to the main water valve and he was afraid I had crashed my head into that big lump of metal with sharp things protruding from it. So I must consider myself very lucky that that didn't happen! 
Just some pretty to brighten this boring post
We rushed to the hospital where we spent a total of 5 hours, 10 minutes of which was actually healthcare, the rest waiting for the nurse, the doctor, the X-ray, the doctor again... Fortunately nothing is broken, it's "just" a nasty sprain of the foot between the toes and the heel. It is now roughly the size and colour of a largish eggplant. I was fitted with an elastic bandage and a pair of crutches and we could finally go home. (The doctor must not be into colouring because he didn't write me any sick days.)
This week I'm working from home which gives me a little bit more free time as I don't have to travel to and from the office. This is nice but that extra time is pretty much consumed by the fact that a bathroom visit takes 15 minutes - travel time only - and preparing a cup of coffee almost 20. My fiancé had the genius idea to move my rolling desk chair to the kitchen where I can sit and work in incredible comfort with my foot up on a kitchen chair. Also I can use the chair to move around the house, because honestly the crutches are a big health and accident hazard. Twice I have hurt my injured foot when I lost my balance on those demonic contraptions. 
Before he rushed me to the hospital I managed to instruct my fiancé to pack some colouring supplies into my purse. Just the same day I scored an adorable little pocket sized book called "En liten målarbok för vuxna" in my local bookstore. I took the 36 set WHSmith pencils, a blender pencil and a stump along with a sharpener. This is really the perfect travel kit! So I wasn't bored while all the waiting at the hospital. 
These days I'm not sitting at my desk so I'm not getting a lot of advanced colouring done. I just colour in my little new book with the WHSmiths and some fineliners. The ironic thing is I was just getting ready to start on Bennett Klein's awesome book Colour My Sketchbook when the accident happened. May have to postpone that a bit but better late than never! Until then check out the amazing tutorial for one of the pages in the book. Trust me, you need this tutorial in your life! I tried the outliner trick on another drawing and it really works wonders!

No comments:

Post a Comment