Monday, February 22, 2016

How it all began...

I guess the story of how I came to love adult colouring is one of learning humility and open-mindedness. I had seen adult colouring books, notably Secret Garden, popping up around Swedish bookstores in the summer of 2015. I remember being utterly provoked by such a stupid idea. I couldn't for the life of me understand the point of taking someone else's artwork and adding colours to it. I viewed this as almost immoral or at the very least a completely meaningless pastime. 
Then in August my sister, who had no idea of my sentiments towards adult  colouring, sent me my birthday gift. It contained a copy of Secret Garden and an assortment of coloured fineliners. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing and was convinced that she really missed the mark this time. However I did want to give it a go just to see what all the fuss was about. Like I said, this was in mid August of last year and I have hardly stood up from my colouring ever since.

I was, to put it mildly, hooked from the start. It was instantly relaxing, gratifying and just pure fun. I soon dug out long forgotten art supplies I had from another life when I tried to draw and sketch with very little luck. Then I discovered the mind-boggling selection of adult colouring books on Amazon and other bookstores and, well, the rest is history. I have never been so glad to be proven wrong in my life!

My very first attempt at adult colouring. Secret Garden and Staedtler Triplus 0.4 roller pens

No comments:

Post a Comment