Monday, February 22, 2016

A place to belong

Since I took up colouring I have learned about the therapeutic benefits of this lovely hobby. I myself don't have any "issues", at least not any diagnosed ones although there is something I probably should see someone about - but just to handle the day to day stress, colouring is amazing. But equally amazing is the colouring community! I have seen many forums, facebook grups et cetera but nowhere do I experience such an encouraging and loving atmosphere as in the two colouring groups that I recently joined. People are really supportive and caring towards each other and for a shy introvert such as myself to be so welcomed and reassured, it really lifts my spirit several times a day and restores faith in humanity. 

Shortly after I took up colouring I joined a Swedish group. There I had quite different experiences. (I don't think it has to do with ethnicity or nationality, it's more the culture that develops in a certain group, much depending on the direction the admins steer it to) There was hardly a week or even day without some sort of drama. Often it would be someone who got upset about other people's purchases and questioned why hauls of books/supplies were even posted in the group, claiming it was offensive to all those who at that time couldn't afford to purchase those items. But people could also be offended if someone was thought to be too "skilled" or artistic. Often there would be drama around a person complaining that their work wasn't good enough for the group and the "talented" members got too many likes. In the end the admins made the decision to ban the posting of purchases/items in again. I left the group before a ban on too pretty colouring was introduced ;) no but seriously, it just seemed that way too many people found a way to turn this relaxing and therapeutic hobby into just another source of frustration and anxiety. That felt completely wrong! 
I find both hauls and majestic images very inspiring even if I cannot afford everything and definitely am not as talented as some people out there. But the thing I love most about belonging to these Facebook communities is to see people get so much joy and relaxation from their hobby!

Major haul of books and pencils!

No comments:

Post a Comment